Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chunky Rain & a Stitchette

Fourth week down and only 6 more to go, woo!

Woke up this morning at 7.15am, ate my oatcake, and heard the drizzle on the window. I was crossing my fingers that the rain would stop but also secretly hoping the heavens would open just to find out first hand if the super muddy downpour run is as satisfying as i imagine it would be. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I did not get my wish and this morning's run ended up being a combination of the following: rather chunky drizzle, semi-sleet, & not-quite-rain. The temperature was only 2 C (36 F) which is definitely a glove-wearing day but by the end of the run the gloves were off and the red face had arrived.

I did get what I am calling a mini-stitchette in my side roughly at the end of the 3rd k, but I breathed my way through it and luckily it didn't grow into a full blown stitch. I suspect this was due to the fact that I decided to latch on to the guy directly in front of me as my pacer (thank you whoever you are Mr '9th of Joon' t-shirt!) and even though I didn't finish directly behind him, he definitely helped me to keep a decent pace. All in all it was a cold but OK run this morning and i knocked 3 seconds off my personal best for a new PB of 27:33.

Someone asked me if I was a total beginner or not, and I thought i might clarify that fact in case anyone else was even slightly curious(or just to have something to write for today). I've been jogging on and off since high school but never as a regular routine. Also, I seemed to find myself injured often. I attempted to run the Great North Run half marathon a few years ago and ended up with an injury during my training which meant I walked the majority of the GNR. I always hoped that I would get back into running if I could do it without pain. So, I ended up joining a gym and for the last year have focussed on taking two spinning classes a week and slowly introduced running back into my activities and voila....it worked! So far, so good in the area of staying pain-free(crossing my fingers it stays that way!).

Lucy, one of the Community Events Fundraisers at Save the Children has been in touch with me and has been super supportive and also has given me all sorts of further ideas for fundraising. In case anyone wants to know more about Save the Children's Born to Run campaign (what this whole challenge is in aid of), or is keen to get running themselves you can check out the Born to Run Facebook Page which is a great place to get info and network with fellow runners, both beginners and non-beginners: http://www.facebook.com/savethechildrenborntorun

This week there will be an extra push to raise a few pounds for my challenge through encouraging my colleagues to eat silly amounts of extra calories in the form of home made goodies....muffins, muffins and more muffins (and perhaps some other goodies too!) will be on offer in my workplace to accompany the Monday morning cup o' coffee. Big' thank you's' to both Sylvia & Rebecca for offering to bake some tasty items with me!

And thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has been so very supportive of my efforts, both with words of encouragement and through donations! It's very much appreciated!

A big thank you as well goes to Jon who has kindly let me take over his computer to write this :)



No comments: