Saturday, February 05, 2011

Windy 5K with a cupcake mantra....

This morning's Park Run was a dry yet windy run. The crazy gale force winds from the previous night may have gone but the remaining gusts were just enough to make it a tough run on the flat course around the town moor. Luckily it was milder in temperature(45F/7C) compared to last weeks freezing temps, or so it seemed until your fingers decided not to move as rebellion against the "mild" temperature. Needless to say, it was a bad idea NOT to wear my gloves this week, but at least the rain held off!

My "keep going, don't stop now" tunage this week was brought to me by Linkin Park. There's nothing like a bit of rock(or is it heavy metal, or pop i never know?!) to keep ya going. Although I am now tempted to make myself a playlist with specific tunes at the more difficult parts of my run....i'm definitely finding there are certain stretches that are routinely tougher for me then the rest. Perhaps a bit of "oomph" from a particular tune at just the right moment will give me the push i need to keep it up nice and steady through out the whole run.

I find that the first and the third kilometer are the hardest for me. The first K is when i'm finding my stride, catching my breath, and coughing a bunch to loosen up the darn phlegm stuck in my throat (lovely!). After this stage I can settle into a nice pace and focus on my form (no fwacking allowed!) and weave politely around people to pass them.

I seem to then sail along at a nice pace only to get a stitch in my side midway through the third K which slows me down a bit as I breathe it out. I refuse to stop though, and during this I am also trying to muster up all my energy to keep my feet moving to my little pacing mantra of 1,2,3,4 .....(or this week's version: "Tas-ty, Cup-cake" to the same rhythm).

Then when the stitch finally passes(grrr!), which is usually midway through the fourth K, it's just a case of focussing on the finish line, wiping the snot from my drippy nose, and hoping that not too many people pass me in their own last minute push to the finish line. But good on 'em for keeping their pace and reserving a last bit of energy for the final push!

This has been the pattern for me twice now, so I think that I may need a proper little 5K plan.

Ok, just received my official time for this weeks Park Run which is: 28:23

This is not a personal best, but not everyone can have one every week. And I am very pleased with my time nonetheless especially since it was a darn difficult run for me this week(excuses, excuses).

What a great combo - cupcakes & running!

Oh, and did i mention that we headed straight over to town after the run this morning where our favorite little bakery gals had cupcakes available perfect for post-run refuelling? Yes, the Pet Lamb Patisserie ladies were at the 'Make & Mend Market' in Grainger market this morning and I sure bought my fill. Mmmmm....... hence the revised Tas-ty, Cup-cake mantra during my run today!

And last but not least, a great big thank you to everyone who has been so generous in donating to my challenge so far, it warms the cockles of my heart (whatever that means) that people are so giving, and I thank you!!

And special thanks to Mike Summers at Save the Children who donated to my challenge personally since apparently I'm the first person to officially take up their "Born to Run" Campaign with Park Run, how very exciting!


No comments: