Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Dog's Pace

Today's 5k officially marks the halfway point in my Born to Run 10-week Challenge for Save the Children, woohoo!

This morning the weather was cooperating with no rain and it was a nice pleasant running temp of 45 F(7 C). Many of the runners were even dressed in only their tiny shorts and t-shirts! The Moor was a bit muddy in places (that seems to be a permanent feature though) but overall it was definitely a good morning for a run.

Midway through the first k a cute little dachshund/beagle dog(short legged, low tummy, cute face) running with what I can assume was its owner, inched past me and I decided I wasn't going to lose track of this pair. Their pace would be my pace. If it was a greyhound then it would have been a different story, but in my mind I was thinking a cute but stumpy little dog is not going to beat me! This theory worked fine for a bit and I even passed them up very, very briefly, but they soon passed me right back and in the end, they beat me to the finish line. I can't complain about that fact since they helped me to keep my feet moving with a smile along the way(it was a super cute dog with such a sweet face!).

For my soundtrack this week, I went a bit overboard with Flux(what IS it about this song?!). I've had a bit of a computer meltdown at home so I had been without a computer or itunes for a couple of weeks(argh!). I have therefore been stuck with the same playlist, my '5k Vroom' playlist. This isn't too bad though since I think it works well for me and keeps me going at a decent pace overall but today for some reason I felt the need to play Flux three times in a row during the third & fourth K when I started to lose my 'oomph'. Luckily, for whatever reason, that song somehow magically brings my running mojo back from the deep dark depths of fatigue.Unfortunately it also confirms that I have yet to manage the art of actively reserving a bit of energy for the finish line push. Is there an art to this?

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the song in question (Mom, i'm talking to you!), go ahead and have a lil' listen to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcboE1GrNg

Perhaps when I start reading Runners World I'll learn some methods of planning better for runs and pacing, etc... I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first Runners World magazine(thanks for the subscription Mom & Dad!), and I'm really excited to read them so the postman better hurry up with it!

And the results are in for today's run with a time of : 26.53 a new Personal Best(yay!).




No comments: