Saturday, April 09, 2011

Even Ducks Love a Sunny Day

The weather today is gorgeous in Newcastle, in fact, the last few days have been fantastic Spring days which everyone seems to be taking full advantage of and enjoying to the fullest. I wouldn’t even be suprised to hear of a few unexpected sun burns after this weekend of frolicking in the all too infrequent rays of sunshine.

Even the cute ducks in Newcastle University’s Harry Potter-esque courtyard were out enjoying the beautiful weather and they seem to be multiplying?! I swear last time there were only two, so perhaps the word is spreading about how nice a courtyard it is, or perhaps that female is one hot lady duck and there will soon be fistacuffs between those three fellas over her affections? Who can tell. This was the first Saturday in ten weeks that I haven’t run the 5k parkrun and instead I volunteered at the event. It was a totally different perspective as a volunteer. Not only did I get to watch all the runners take off at the start but I also got to welcome them at the finish line which was really enjoyable. It also gives you a greater appreciation of just how much organisation and effort goes on “behind the scenes”, and that’s just from the tiny bit that I’ve seen this week. In future, when we give the volunteers a round of applause at the start of the parkrun i’ll be clapping extra loud.

No comments: