Saturday, April 02, 2011

Tenth 5k Complete in my Ten-Week Challenge

Me wearing my cute '10' pin from my friends and holding my Pet Lamb Patisserie treats


Breakfast: 2 oatcakes

Temp: 54 F / 12 C

Weather: rainy on and off with some gusts of wind(fun combo!)

Time: 27:43

Number of times played Bloc Party's "Flux": twice

(probably could have a whole playlist of just this song?!)


Today marks my tenth 5k in ten weeks in order to raise money for Save the Children's Born to Run Campaign. I have now successfully completed my Ten Week Challenge and have raised over £386 in the process! I even had a little cheering section at the finish line today in the rain which was such a sweet surprise (in more ways than one since Emma had brought me a delicious cupcake, yum! Thanks!!).

The weather was not exactly cooperating with the runners but we can't have perfect weather all the time, now can we? Overall it wasn't too bad, but there was one particular part of the course when the wind picked up blowing the rain straight into our faces. For some runners this provided a little extra challenge to push through with a determination to keep pace and for others it kicked our butts a bit more than the usual(me!).


The big talk of the morning and on the parkrun Facebook page was the fact that the cows are back on the moor for the summer. Not to mention the actual 'evidence' that the cows are back on the moor, since it was a bit of a dodge 'em game on the path trying to avoid stepping in the pats. We had a rather surreal start to the run with two big ol' cows happily munching on the grass at the side of the path as we all swooshed past. It makes me wonder if all parkruns have their own unique set of residents that come with their course?


Even though my Ten Week Challenge is over I have well & truly caught the running bug and will endeavor to continue for as long as I am able to run. I have really enjoyed the past ten weeks of parkruns for my challenge. The whole parkrunning experience is something I will definitely include as part of my regular routine.


I have signed up to volunteer for next week's parkrun since there is always a need for volunteers to help the runs go smoothly each week for the runners. It's like a well oiled machine. I've truly appreciated how great an experience the parkrun is in these past ten weeks, and I'd like to say a big thank you to the parkrun team!


Also, a big thank you to everyone who has donated to my fundraising efforts for Save the Children and to everyone who has provided words of encouragement along the way!


Now I'm going to go eat my sweet rewards courtesy of Pet Lamb Patisserie's Make and Mend Market stall.....mmmm!

No comments: