Saturday, March 26, 2011

Only One More to Go!!


Breakfast: 1 oatcake(cracker)
Temp: 43 F/ 6 C
Weather: cloudy
Time: 27:06
Number of times played Bloc Party's "Flux": just once


Today marks number nine of my 10-Week Challenge for Save the Children's Born to Run campaign.
The cute beagle and its owner were back today. That little dog just makes me smile with its fast paced stumpy-leg trot, but gee whiz they are fast (or at least they beat me, ha!).

This week I really focussed on my posture again, and trying hard to keep the correct form to avoid injuries, and that usual post-run "ouch". I always pay a bit of attention to my form, but seem to get certain aches happening each week regardless.

I was given some advice (hold in my tummy/core area and try to keep my hips in line in the right place to avoid horrible posture) with the hopes of trying to avoid the reoccuring back ache that creeps up on my body after I've run. I also decided to try using smaller foot steps rather than long strides after reading in Runners World that it can help reduce strain on the hips and other joints.

I am sure I looked a bit goofy in doing so, especially since I was taking 3-4 steps for the 1 long stride of the fellas around me but if there is a chance that it helps reduce aches & pains then I am more than happy to look like a weirdo! I won't really know if it helped until later today/tomorrow, but I'm hoping something had a positive effect, and I will try it again next week and during any practice runs in the week.

So, now I have only one more 5K to go in my 10-Week Challenge! Yay!

If you're feeling generous and wish to donate some of your hard earned cash to a good cause, or if you've been waiting until the end of my challenge to donate (ahem, certain colleague who shall remain nameless but wanted to make sure I did the full 10 before donating!!) well then ...now is just about time and you can donate on my Ten Week Challenge Just Giving page here.

And if you have been on the fence about whether to try out a parkrun, then why not join people across the UK in trying it out as part of Save the Children's'Born to Run a parkrun' event on Saturday, 30th April? I can gaurantee it will be a great atmosphere! You can check out details by clicking here.

Happy running everyone!





No comments: